National Literacy Trust Recommended Books for Summer
A recent survey of over 56,000 pupils by the National Literacy Trust revealed that children like reading in a range of places, with 68 per cent reporting they like reading in bed, 40 per cent saying they preferred the sofa, while others enjoyed reading while travelling!
The charity have developed some book recommendations for different places this summer!
Books to read in bed
- Ages 0-5: Emily Brown and the Thing by Cressida Cowell
- Ages 6-8: A Dog with Nice Ears (Charlie and Lola) by Lauren Child
- Ages 9-12: Kid Normal by Greg James and Chris Smith
Books to read while travelling
- Ages 0-5: Grandma Z by Daniel Gray-Barnett
- Ages 6-8: The Dragon in the Library by Louie Stowell
- Ages 9-12: The Good Thieves by Katherine Rundell
Books to read outdoors
- Ages 0-5: The Bug Collector by Alex G Griffiths
- Ages 6-8: Mouse and Mole by Joyce Dunbar
- Ages 9-12: Tom Gates: What Monster? by Liz Pichon
Books to read by a swimming or paddling pool
- Ages 0-5: Clem and Crab by Fiona Lumbers
- Ages 6-8: Splash Day by Nick Sharratt
- Ages 9-12: Football School: Star Players by Ben Lyttleton and Alex Bellos
Does your child have a Devon library card? If so, they could borrow these books for FREE from any Devon library. If the books are not in stock, then you can request a copy – just ask a librarian.
Want some more recommendations? Either ask at your local library or go online and look at https://www.lovereading4kids.co.uk/genre/sr/Summer-Reading.html#link2